The Best Toys for Blind Dogs: According to a Veterinarian
- Published on
Click Links To Skip Ahead!
Related Articles: Dog Toys, Indestructible Dog Toys, Dog Puzzle Toys, Interactive Dog Toys, Dog Toy Subscription, Puppy Toys, Dog Water Toys, Crinkle Dog Toys, Cheap Toys, Dog Treat Toys, Rubber Dog Toys, Squeaky Dog Toys, Christmas Dog Toys, Outdoor Dog Toys, Dog Enrichment Toys, Small Dog Toys, Cute Dog Toys, Moving Dog Toys, Dog Ball Toys, Plush Dog Toys, Chew Toys, Halloween Dog Toys, Leather Dog Toys, Puppy Teething Toys
What Kind of Toys do Blind Dogs Like?
- Best Overall Toys for Blind Dogs: Ethical Pets Sensory Ball Dog Toy
If you are looking for the best dog toy for your visually impaired dog, this product is the top pick on Amazon and Chewy.
- Best Training Toys for Blind Dogs: Schitec Rubber Bouncy Fetch Dog Balls with Bell Sound
A small bell provides a sensory experience to your dog, and therefore this can be perfect for training your dog.
- Best Sensory Toys for Blind Dogs: Lucas B Natural Dog Toys Store Soft Sensory Fish Squeaky Dog Toys
This sensory blind dog squeaky toy makes a funny sound that keeps your pooch occupied and enhances their playtime.
- Best Interactive Toys for Blind Dogs: Wobble Wag Giggle Interactive Dog Ball Toy
If you are looking for the perfect interactive dog toy, this toy will boost your dog’s senses adding enrichment to the lives of your pet pooch.
- Most Quirky Toys for Blind Dogs: Pet Qwerks Blinky Babble Ball Flashing Interactive Chew Dog Toy
Among the more noisy toys, this toy is perfect for a game of hide and seek with your furry friend, thanks to its flashing feature.
- Best Toys for Blind Dog for Mental Stimulation: LirTeng Interactive Cleaning and Treat Dispenser Dog Ball
This dog treat dispenser toy is perfect for kibble and supplements, making it perfect for both blind and sighted dogs.
- Most Durable Toys for Blind Dogs: Pawko Durable Plush Dog Toy with Crinkle Paper
If your blind pet loves crinkles, this plush toy is absolutely durable, making it perfect for all dog breeds.
Do Blind Dogs Play with Toys?
Yes, blind dogs love to play with toys. All dogs need mental stimulation that is usually achieved through play sessions. Adding innovative toys for blind dogs to the equation and you can keep your furry friend in a healthy environment irrespective of their visual impairment.
Do They Make Toys for Blind Dogs?
Yes, there is such a thing as toys for blind dogs.
There are many dog toy brands that make toys for blind dogs. Visually impaired dogs can play with noisemakers, light flashers, chewers, launchers, scented toys, whistlers, squeakers, treat-dispensing toys, and dog puzzle toys.
Toys for blind dogs also come in different sizes – there are options for both large dogs and small dogs.
Why do Blind Dogs Need Special Toys?
Visually impaired dogs need special toys that will help them make the interaction easier. For example, a regular tennis ball would be hard to locate, while a squeaker toy that makes noises is easy to find based on where the sound comes from.
Here are some of the benefits of using special toys for blind dogs:
- Builds Trust: Toys for blind dogs have been manufactured, keeping your dog’s impairment in mind. Therefore, giving your dogs toys catered to them can really build trust and keep your dog happier.
- Improves Comfort: In addition to trust, your dog will feel more comfortable in its surroundings if they know that you got its back. Toys for blind dogs can offer that reassurance to your furry friend.
- Enhances Brain Power: Blind dogs love solving puzzles. Some toys for blind dogs provide improved mental stimulation and keep them occupied throughout the day.
- Strengthens Nose Work: Since your dog is mostly reliant on its sense of smell, you can use toys for blind dogs that are already scented to build your dog’s nose work. It is easy to find toys that are already scented, for instance, with a bacon scent.
The Best Toys for Blind Dogs Reviewed
Toy Type: Ball Toy
Lifestage: All Life Stages
Recommended Uses: Dog training
Summary: This sensory ball rubber dog toy has something for all five senses – sight, sound, smell, touch, and taste. Additionally, it is also made from durable TPR rubber that ensures its longevity. It is scented with a delicious beef flavor that most dogs will love.
The ball is not only beef scented, it has a beefy taste as well. It is available in two sizes and has a sound bell paired with a squeaker. The bright colors make the toy look aesthetic; therefore, you can trust it to blend well into your dog toys.
- The scent is extremely potent
- The toy is easy to wash
- Works great for dogs of all ages
- The toy is durable
- Made with high-quality rubber
- There are better toys in the same price range
- Might not work with some dogs because of the sound
Customer Reviews: Amazon rates these toys for blind dogs 4.3 out of 5 stars. This is a dog toy that most customers prefer over other toys. Not only does it work extremely well thanks to its minimal design, but it also lasts a long time because of its durability.
- Pet Suitability (10/10): Perfect for most pet parents, this dog toy will work great with your blind dog. The beef scent within the ball keeps your dog occupied and active.
- Material Quality (10/10): This ball is made with non-toxic rubber and is completely safe for your dog. A mild beefy aroma within the ball keeps your dog coming back for more.
- Cost Effectiveness (10/10): This product is extremely cost-effective for its price point. It is not only durable but will also last a long time as your dog grows old.
- Customer Feedback (10/10): Most customers were pleased with this product and have written pleasant reviews about it. Some of them also noted that it easily becomes your blind dog’s favorite toy.
- Product Variety (8/10): These toys for blind dogs are available in two sizes. While we did hope for more variety, maybe in terms of scent or size. But despite that, the standard options seem to work well with most dogs and their owners.
Toy Type: Interactive Ball Toy
Lifestage: All Life Stages
Recommended Uses: Indoor and Outdoor Use
Summary: The ball makes a sweet and pleasant jingle sound to attract pets’ attention, arouse their natural curiosity, and encourage them to play with it. The hollow design with round holes around the surface allows dogs to easily pick up and carry the ball. This makes it ideal for indoor or outdoor interactive fetch play.
Made with soft rubber with a gentle bounce, this dog toy is good for your pups’ teeth and gums. Double-layer design enhances toughness and makes the toy more bite-resistant for average chewing dogs.
- Has a cute jingle sound
- Has hollow spaces for treats
- Made with a bouncy material
- Perfect for smaller dogs and puppies
- Has a beef scent
- The hollow spaces could trap debris
- The chew toy can break at times
Customer Reviews: Amazon rates this product 4.6 out of 5 stars. The balls are 2 inches in diameter, suitable for small breeds and puppies such as Yorkie, Chihuahua, Poodle, Pug, Shih Tzu, and Welsh Corgi Pembroke. Some cats like to play with these balls too. Overall, most customers were happy with this product.
Veterinarians.org Review: Our team at veterinarians.org is giving Schitec Rubber Bouncy Fetch Dog Balls with Bell Sound an overall 9/10 star rating. A breakdown of our rating is listed below:
- Pet Suitability (9/10): This product is perfectly suited for blind dogs. It makes a cute ringing sound when rolling or shaking, which raises pets’ interest and brings fun to them. It features a hollow design that makes it easy for dogs to grab and carry during playtime.
- Material Quality (10/10): It is made with high-density rubber that is gentle on your dog’s teeth and gums. While it works great for average chewing dogs, it is not suited for aggressive chewers.
- Cost Effectiveness (10/10): This toy is extremely cost-effective. A double-layer structure enhances the toughness and makes the toy more durable and bite-resistant.
- Customer Feedback (9/10): Most customers were happy with the product. A good toy to meet the needs of dog chewing, and the hollow rubber design helps clean teeth at the same time.
- Product Variety (9/10): These toys for blind dogs are available in two sizes. However, we would have loved it if the brand could make a wider range of options in the same toy category.
Toy Type: Chew Toy
Lifestage: All Life Stages
Recommended Uses: Indoor Use
Material: Natural Rubber
Summary: These dog toys are made from 100% natural rubber (latex) from the Hevea Brasiliensis trees. The rubber is durable but soft on their teeth, jaws, and mouth. There are no harmful chemicals such as BPA, lead, or phthalates, and it complies with the European Safety Standard EN 71.
Great for playing, retrieving, and appealing to your dog’s senses. Great dog toy for blind dogs. This textured and sensory dog toy is perfect for small dogs and puppies. Every Lucas b. Natural Dog Toys is handmade and hand-painted by Lanco, a family-owned business that has been manufacturing safe and fun dog and children’s toys since 1952.
- Perfect for blind dogs
- Made with natural rubber
- Handmade and hand-painted
- 100% BPA free
- Perfect for small dogs and puppies
- The toy is a bit on the expensive side
- Some dogs might not prefer the scent of the toy
Customer Reviews: Amazon customers rate this product 4.4 out of 5 stars. They like that it is free of harmful chemicals – like BPA, phthalates, and nitrosamines and colored with natural food-based dyes and non-toxic, certified lead-free paints.
Veterinarians.org Review: Our team at veterinarians.org is giving Lucas B Natural Dog Toys Store Soft Sensory Fish Squeaky Dog Toys an overall 9/10 star rating. A breakdown of our rating is listed below:
- Pet Suitability (10/10): This dog toy will suit almost any dog. It is extremely safe and complies with the same safety standards as baby toys. Each toy is individually handcrafted and hand-painted with love and care in Morocco.
- Material Quality (9/10): Using natural rubber, this brand does not skimp out on quality. The toys for blind dogs are particularly very well made using premium materials as compared to some other toys out there.
- Cost Effectiveness (9/10): This dog toy is cost-effective and affordable for more pet parents. It lasts a long time because of its durable nature.
- Customer Feedback (10/10): Most customers were happy with this dog toy and purchased it a second time.
- Product Variety (9/10): While the brand does not offer any type of variety, their standard product works great with most dogs.
Toy Type: Fetch Ball
Lifestage: All Life Stages
Recommended Uses: Dog Training
Material: Phthalate-Free Vinyl
Summary: The wobble wag giggle & trade ball is a noise-making ball that will quickly become your dog’s favorite toy. This unique toy features six clutch pockets spread around the surface of the ball that allow dogs to easily grab the ball and carry it. When the ball moves, it produces a unique giggle sound that will excite and delight your pup, enticing them into longer, more rewarding play sessions.
The Wobble wag giggle & trade ball is made of flexible and durable phthalate-free vinyl to ensure that it is safe for your pooch. The ball uses simple tubes to produce the noise without the use of batteries, making it long-lasting and easy to maintain.
- Fun for dogs of all ages
- Helps keep dogs happy, healthy, and fit
- Can be used indoors or outdoors
- 4 clutch pockets allow dogs to easily pick it up
- Tubes inside the ball emit sounds
- The ball might be difficult to clean
- The ball might not be able to hold your pet’s attention for long
Customer Reviews: Amazon rates this product 4.1 out of 5 stars. The giggling sounds emitted from the toy when rolled or shaken help to engage your dog’s natural curiosity and instinct to play. This toy keeps your pup active and entertained throughout the day, providing great exercise for your furry friend.
- Pet Suitability (10/10): This is the perfect dog toy for your pet. The tubes inside the ball emit sounds and giggles when rolled or shaken. All in all, these make excellent toys for blind dogs.
- Material Quality (9/10): These toys for blind dogs are made with high-quality vinyl material. This makes sure that it lasts a long time, even with a bit of aggressive play.
- Cost Effectiveness (9/10): For the kind of toy this is, it is extremely cost-effective. It does not require any batteries or a power source. Therefore, it can last a long time very easily.
- Customer Feedback (9/10): Most customers were satisfied with this product. This is because of the unique feature it has. Six clutch pockets spread around the surface of the ball allow dogs to easily grab the ball and carry it. Therefore, it is perfectly suited for blind dogs.
- Product Variety (9/10): While the brand does not offer much variety, the standard option seems to work the best. Most customers did not feel the need for more variety in this category.
Toy Type: Interactive Ball Toy
Lifestage: Adult Dogs
Recommended Uses: Training Toy
Summary: Replaceable batteries and a wipeable surface make it easy for you to keep the fun going with this dog toy. A variety of wisecracks keeps your dogs occupied and entertained for hours on end. Also helps occupy dogs with separation anxiety. Babble Ball comes in a variety of sizes. The smallest Babble Ball is suitable for your feline friends, as well as your dog!
The Blinky Babble Ball is motion-activated, flashes, and makes sounds; A great self-amusement toy for all dogs and ideal for pets that are blind or have poor vision. As your pet breathes on it or walks past it, the bright light starts blinking, and playful banter ensues, demanding playtime by enticing your dog; Each ball makes 18 different sounds.
- This is an extremely fun toy
- Motion activated
- Batteries last a long time
- Easy to clean
- Durable in nature
- The surface might crack with prolonged play
- The circuitry within the ball might get damaged
Customer Reviews: Amazon rates this product 4.1 out of 5 stars. This Blinky Babble Ball is motion-activated, flashes, and makes sounds. As a result, it is a great self-amusement toy for all dogs. It is also ideal for pets that are blind or have poor vision. It is specially made for large dogs that are over 25 pounds. However, it cannot work well with smaller breeds.
Veterinarians.org Review: Our team at veterinarians.org is giving Pet Qwerks Blinky Babble Ball Flashing Interactive Chew Dog Toy an overall 9/10 star rating. A breakdown of our rating is listed below:
- Pet Suitability (9/10): Each ball makes 18 different sounds making it perfect for most dogs. Your dog will surely find the right sound that will excite them to play. When your dog is done playing, it will turn itself off and thus saving precious batteries.
- Material Quality (9/10): Made with high-impact ABS construction, the Babble Ball can stand up to aggressive chewers very easily. Whether you have a German Shepherd or a Great Dane, this toy will last a long time because of its durable nature.
- Cost Effectiveness (9/10): This product is extremely cost-effective. The brand also makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, birds, and other furry friends. Therefore, they are well known in the business for their cost-effective toys.
- Customer Feedback (9/10): Most customers were happy with this product. The Babble Ball helps dogs satisfy their natural instinct to chew, and dog owners are happy with the feature.
- Product Variety (9/10): The brand offers some variety in its selection of toys for blind dogs. However, this ball is their most sold product.
Toy Type: Interactive Toy
Lifestage: Young Adults and Senior Dogs
Recommended Uses: Teeth Cleaning and Oral Health
Summary: The stretchy rubber material fits treats of all shapes and sizes. This helps make playtime as unique as your dog. This toy is made of eco-friendly natural rubber, which is non-toxic, BPA-and-Phthalate-free, and durable enough for dog chewing. However, it is harmless to your dog’s health.
This rubber ball for dogs is versatile for all kinds of interactive play, enhancing playtime for both pets and pet parents. It also blends well with other toys for blind dogs.
- Made with durable rubber
- The toy is non-toxic and safe for dogs
- Has a built-in bell
- Keeps your dog focused easily
- Has space for treats of various sizes
- The ball could trap debris easily
- It could be difficult to clean
Customer Reviews: Amazon rates this product 4.4 out of 5 stars. The toy has been designed to last a long time. The material used is extremely durable and manufactured with innovation. You can hide treats within the toy and let your dog find them. This boosts their problem-solving abilities and improves their overall cognition.
Veterinarians.org Review: Our team at veterinarians.org is giving LirTeng Interactive Cleaning and Treat Dispenser Dog Ball an overall 9/10 star rating. A breakdown of our rating is listed below:
- Pet Suitability (9/10): Perfect for most pets, this specially designed toy ball will be your dog’s best friend. It works well with all dog breeds, irrespective of their size. In addition to being a puzzle toy, it can also be used as a fetch toy, making it perfect for outdoor play.
- Material Quality (9/10): This product is non-toxic and BPA-and-Phthalate-free. It is made using natural rubber and is, therefore, not toxic to dogs.
- Cost Effectiveness (8/10): This dog toy is cost-effective as most pet parents were happy with the pricing. However, it might need to be replaced if it becomes difficult to clean because of trapped debris.
- Customer Feedback (9/10): Most customers would recommend this product to their fellow pet parents. This is among the best toys for blind dogs. Although some customers complained about the scent of the toy, most dogs did not seem to mind that at all.
- Product Variety (9/10): This brand does not offer any more variety in the same category of dog toys. However, the standard option that they sell is among the most popular toy on the market.
Toy Type: Crinkle Toy
Lifestage: All Life Stages
Recommended Uses: Training Toy
Summary: This deer-character plush dog toy will provide more fun to your dogs than any other dog toy. Made from non-toxic fibers. It also features an air mesh layer for your family member’s health and safety. It is more sturdy and durable than ordinary dog chew toys. Therefore, it can bring your dog hours of entertainment and exercise.
These crinkle dog toys can provide hours of fun for your dogs to avoid boredom. Perfect for tug-of-war games or fetch games. It is also extremely durable and easy to clean overall, making it the perfect dog toy for your blind pooch.
- Great value for money
- Made with safe materials
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Can be paired with other toys
- Keeps your pet occupied
- Not for aggressive chewers
- The stitching might come loose eventually
Customer Reviews: Amazon rates this product 4.7 out of 5 stars. This product is made using soft plush material that also has an air mesh inside. It contains squeakers everywhere and has two crinkle dragon wings that will keep your dog occupied for sure.
- Pet Suitability (8/10): Perfectly suited for most dogs, this product works perfectly as a dog toy for your blind dog. It is made for dogs who like to nibble their toys while playing. The sound it emits keeps your dog entertained for hours.
- Material Quality (8/10): This toy is made with high-quality plush material. It is easy to clean and maintain. It lasts a long time if maintained and will become your dog’s favorite toy within no time.
- Cost Effectiveness (8/10): Perfectly priced, these toys for blind dogs keep the dog’s senses alive through play sessions. It also ensures that you don’t need more dog toys making this extremely cost-effective.
- Customer Feedback (8/10): Most customers were pleased with these toys for blind dogs. They talked about how the material is extremely soft, making it perfect for cuddling. It also helps blind dogs find a source of entertainment easily.
- Product Variety (8/10): The brand does not offer much variety in its products. However, the standard option seemed to work best for most dogs.
What Should I Look for in Toys for Blind Dogs?
Before you choose the perfect toy for your dog, make sure you do your research on the subject. Here are the things to look for in toys for blind dogs.
- Durability: Toys for blind dogs need to be durable to withstand daily play sessions. They should not fall apart easily or get stuck to your dog’s teeth. If they have space for dog food and treats, the area should survive constant pawing and chewing.
- Easy To Clean: The toys for blind dogs have to be easy to clean. The process should not be too complicated, and overall, the toy should have made from non-toxic material.
- Boosts Cognition: The perfect toys for blind dogs would be something like a squeaky toy with a treat dispensing option or a dog puzzle that will keep them occupied. The trick is to keep your dog trying to solve the steps to reach a treat. This helps boost their cognition and keeps their mental health in prime condition.
- Affordable Price: While most premium brands are usually sought after, there is no harm in trying out the more affordable options available on the market. They also get the job done, just like premium toys for blind dogs. However, make sure the quality of the toys for blind dogs is good.
- Reliable Brand: There are certain brands like Kong and Chuckit that make innovative toys for blind dogs. Whether you have a blind pup or an adult dog, you can find something for all life stages.