Best Pill Pockets for Pets Summary
Best Pill Pockets for Dogs
- Best Overall Pill Pockets for Dogs: Greenies Pill Pockets Natural Dog Treats
Soft and tasty peanut butter flavored pockets that check all boxes for quality, safety, and efficacy.
- Best Cost to Quantity Ration: Milk-Bone Pill Pouches Dog Treats
Sure to be a tasty treat for dogs, these pill pouches are easy to handle and made with real chicken.
- Most Flavor Options: Pill Buddy Naturals Pill Pockets
Healthy and free of anything artificial, these pouches come in many different flavors and fit all capsule sizes.
- Most Versatile Pockets: Pet MD Wrap A Pill Cheese & Bacon Flavor Pill Paste
Veterinary-formulated, pinchable pockets with extra delicious cheese and bacon flavor dogs love.
Best Pill Pockets for Cats
- Best Overall Pill Pockets for Cats: Feline Greenies Pill Pockets Natural Cat Treats
These chicken and salmon flavored pockets are healthy, easy to use, and price-efficient.
- Most Versatile Pockets: TOMLYN Pill-Masker Paste for Cats and Dogs
Moldable paste that is good for both cats and dogs and is extremely easy to use for pet owners.
- Healthiest Pill Pouches: Vetoquinol Pill Wrap Paste
This moldable paste contains all healthy and natural ingredients and is worthy of the heavy price tag.
What are Pill Pockets?
Pill pockets, or pill pouches, are handy, healthy treats that cover and hide medications and supplements, whether in pill or liquid form.
Pill pouches are designed to mask the smell and taste of pet medication. A pet will be more likely to accept medicines if it is offered to them in the guise of a treat.
Every pet parent that has ever tried to dose their pet with a medication knows the struggle. This is where pill pockets kick in. They are meant to turn pill time into treat time and remove any stress for both parent and pet.
Are Pill Pockets Safe for Dogs?
Yes, pill pouches are safe for dogs. Most do not contain fat, sodium, or any artificial sugars. However, Pet MD recommends looking for a brand that isn’t too high in calories so they won’t have too much effect on a dog’s body weight.
It is important to talk to a vet before administering pill pockets to dogs with an illness. Some brands may be high in sodium and would not be safe for dogs with conditions such as heart disease, kidney disease, or high blood pressure.
Are Pill Pockets Safe for Cats?
Yes, pill pouches are safe for cats as well. They provide a healthy alternative to using human food to hide pills.
For cats with underlying illnesses such as heart disease, kidney disease, or diabetes, make sure to consult with a vet. They may be able to recommend a brand of pockets that will be safest for them.
Do Vets Recommend Pill Pockets?
Yes, pill pockets are recommended by vets. However, they advise pet owners to use healthy versions made with natural ingredients.
It is important to keep the number of calories a product contains in mind. Pet owners should also be mindful of things like fat, sodium bisulfate, and artificial flavors or preservatives.
What are the Benefits of Pill Pockets?
The main benefit of pill pouches is that a pet will more easily accept their medication. They can be slipped into dry dog food or given as a treat later on. Using pockets makes the dosing process stress-free for both the pet and the owner.
Here are some of the benefits of hiding pills (capsules and tablets) into pockets:
- Easy to Give. Pets will gladly and quickly consume their medicine if it’s concealed in a tasty pill pocket. Pill pockets are generally made with pet-friendly flavors.
- No Stress. Pet owners won’t have to worry that their pets aren’t taking their meds. Pets won’t have to deal with the unpleasant taste of medicine.
- Tasty for Pets. Pill pockets come in many different flavors that pets will find delicious. Some pockets can even be used as cat chews or dental dog treats.
- Mess-Free. Pill pockets help eliminate messes that may be caused by a pet constantly spitting its pills out.
Basically, pill pouches or pockets are the answer to a less stressful and less messy experience for pet owners and pets.
The Best Pill Pockets for Dogs Reviewed
The pet market offers a variety of pill pockets – for different life stages, with different flavors and different nutritional values. With so many options, finding the right product to checkout can be hard.
To make things easy, we have reviewed some of the best products for dogs.
Summary: These real peanut butter flavor pill pockets are made from all-natural ingredients, natural flavors and are easy to use. Containing 60 pill pockets in one bag, this product is a perfect and healthy option for dogs. Plus, it is vet-recommended.
- Great peanut butter flavor
- Low total price for a high quantity
- Can be used as dog chews
- Vet recommended formula
- Only comes in one flavor
Review: Overall, this is the best product listed as it is a healthy and price-efficient pill pocket product. Dogs find peanut butter to be extremely tasty, and pet owners can hide the meds in the pockets successfully.
Summary: These chicken flavor dog treats are made with real chicken and help conceal the taste and smell of dog medicine. They come with five bags for a total of 125 pill pouches, and help to prevent messes from picky dogs.
- Low price for a high quantity
- Chicken or hickory smoke flavor
- With real chicken
- No by-products and meals
- Contain fat and sodium
Review: Overall, this product gives the most quantity for the price but may not be as healthy as other products within the same price range. However, the pill pockets are easy to use, and dogs love the taste.
Summary: These pill pockets are all-natural and free of corn, wheat, soy, and anything artificial. They come in a pack of 30 with the choice of six different flavors: chicken flavor capsule, grilled duck, hickory-smoked beef, peanut butter & apple, peanut butter & banana, and peanut butter & honey.
- Healthy and meat-free recipe
- Available in a variety of flavors
- Free from corn, soy, and grain
- Budget-friendly price
- The pockets are drier than similar products
Review: Some customer reviews stated that this product was too dry. However, most users are pleased with the overall quality and variety of delicious and dog-friendly flavors.
Summary: This product allows pet owners to pinch their own pockets from the mold in the container. It comes in a 4.2-ounce container and comes in 3 different flavors: cheese flavor and bacon, peanut butter, and bacon.
- Fits all tablet sizes
- Moldable shape of the pocket
- Reasonably priced
- Low in calories
- Formulated by vets
- The moldable effect can be messy for some owners
Review: Overall, this is the most versatile pill pocket product as it can fit any pill shape. Most pet owners are satisfied with the product. However, for some, the molding part is too messy.
The Best Pill Pockets for Cats Reviewed
As with pockets for dogs, the market also offers a large number of options for cats. Each product and brand highlights a different quality, so it is important to examine the pros and cons of each.
Listed below are just a few products that we recommend for cats.
Summary: These pill pockets come in both chicken flavor and salmon flavor and are all-natural. They contain trace nutrients and minerals that are healthy for all cats. Plus, they are recommended by vets and are free from sketchy ingredients.
- Vet-recommended chicken formula
- Excellent price to quality ratio
- Around 45 pockets per container
- Free from artificial flavors and fillers
- Available in one flavor
Review: Overall, this is the best choice of pill pockets for cats as they are healthy and inexpensive. Pet owners find it very easy to use these pill pockets, and their cats love the chicken flavor.
Summary: This moldable paste allows pet owners to create a pocket of any size. It comes in a 4-ounce container and is bacon-flavored. The moldable paste does not crumble and is perfect for masking meds for small dogs and cats.
- Perfect pill pockets for cats
- Suitable for small dogs
- Works for any size pill
- Can be used as treats
- Only one flavor available
- High in fat
Review: Overall, these pill pockets are universal and fit different sizes of meds. However, not all cats are fans of the bacon flavor. Also, some owners are not happy with the amount of fat in the formula.
Summary: This pill wrap paste can also be easily molded to fit any shape. It comes in a 4- ounce container (with around 56 pockets) and contains only health-boosting and natural ingredients.
- Can fit pills of any size
- Natural and healthy ingredients
- Mess-free and tasty wraps
- Around 56 pockets per container
- High price tag
- Unspecified flavor
Review: Overall, this product is similar to the one listed above but is made from healthier ingredients and is higher in price. However, most pet owners find these pill pockets worthy of the cost.
How Do I Use a Pill Pocket?
Pill pouches are relatively easy to use – pretty much like giving your pet a cat or dog treat. If you are a bit confused, read the product details and then follow these steps:
- Hold the pocket treat with your thumb and forefinger
- Use the other hand to insert the medicine into the pocket
- Squeeze the top half to close the pocket, trapping the med inside
- Feed the sealed pocket to your furry friend (cat or dog).
Do not touch the pill pocket with the hand that held the medicine. The smell and taste of the medicine could be transferred onto the pocket. This may prevent a pet from wanting to eat the pill pocket.
Do Pill Pockets Have Nutritional Value?
Yes, depending on the brand, some pill pouches have nutritional value. Some of them may contain added minerals and nutrients that are good for cats and dogs.
The Greenies pill pockets dog treats are the healthiest option. Plus, they are rich in beneficial nutrients while low in calories and fat.
- Greenies Pill Pockets are the tasty, smarter way to help your dog’s medicine go down at treatment time—without trying to hide pills in human food like messy peanut butter or cheese
- Your dog won’t be able to sniff out the medicine: Pill Pockets mask the smell and taste, and come in an irresistible real peanut butter flavor for a stress- and mess-free experience for you both
- These Pill Pockets Dog Treats are a cinch to use: Drop the medicine tablet inside the pill pouch, pinch it closed, and give your best friend a tasty snack
Can I Make My Own Pill Pockets?
Yes, DIY pill pouches are a thing. For example, pet owners can even use a small chink of low-fat, low-sodium cheese as a pocket.
Alternatively, they can roll up their sleeves and make DIY pockets with more ingredients. Here is one simple and efficient recipe.
You can use peanut butter, flour, and milk, or water to make pockets. Peanut butter can be replaced with whatever ingredient a pet loves most, such as chicken or beef.
Use a 2:1:1 ratio of ingredients: 2x flour, 1x peanut butter, 1x milk or water, and mix together in a bowl. Use a spoon to scoop out a small amount.
Roll it into a ball, and create an indentation for the pill using your finger or the spoon handle. Store a batch of DIY pill pockets in the fridge for up to a week.